iSea Surfwear – CREATIVE WAVES SUSTAINABLE DESIGN COMPETITION
- Register as an entrant. Download the entry form here Entry Form 2020
- Make a contribution towards competition costs: £5.00 to cover all P&P etc. and receive a bag of our hand screen printed cotton jersey off cuts.
- Payments to firstname.lastname@example.org via https://www.paypal.com/uk
- Competition OPENS on 20th March 2020 and runs until 31st May 2020
Design and then make a new product (practical or fun) that would allow the material we send you to be the basis of a new product line, limited run or one-off piece within the iSea Surfwear brand. You can add other items if it is being reused or recycled, for example a zip, buttons other materials etc (but must not be more than 40% of the material in total) whilst maintaining the iSea surf ethos. Get creative, go wild but make sure it is made to a high standard, so no holes or loose threads!
- Children’s category, 12 years or under: Create a collage, product, accessory or piece of art using the fabric off-cuts. You may add other materials but the emphasis should be the use of our fabrics.
The designs and photos of the products will be displayed in the ‘Creative Wave’ section of our website, and our social media pages to celebrate your design skills and the innovation of re cycling materials. If we have enough entries there is a possibility of a physical exhibition with items for sale and a donation to our chosen local/environmental charity.
The winning design wins a hand crafted iSea hoody of your choice and you will be made Artisan designer on the ‘Creative Wave’ publicity. There will be runner up prizes as well. We will do an online and/or physical exhibition where all shortlisted entries will be displayed and available to view.
- There are also possibilities of collaborating to develop your design into a product we can sell.
- Children’s category: 12 years or under, will win a hand crafted iSea hoody and there will be runner up prizes.
As some of you will know, we are passionate about protecting the environment, it is top priority along with ethics and definitely over and above making money!
The fashion industry has a disastrous impact on the environment. In fact, it is the second largest polluter in the world, just after the oil industry, and the environmental damage is increasing as the industry grows. However, there are solutions and alternatives to mitigate these problems. The first step lies in building awareness and willingness to change.
We are constantly doing lots of research into how we can make our products even better, most of our cotton is now organic, we use water based inks, and we’re looking into developing a range of our own natural inks and dyes. We are trying to find a fabric to replace the synthetic fleece we currently use, due to the problem of micro fibres getting into the environment when washing garments, causing all kinds of damage.
The way we work means that we do not mass produce, but make limited stock and then run a made to order service. Our supply chain is short and we have a low carbon footprint. We pride ourselves in making every item in our studio in Pembrokeshire to a very high standard, meaning it can be worn for years and we also run a recycling scheme for outgrown hoodies which is very popular.
This helps reduce waste massively BUT we have never thrown any of our printed cotton fabric off-cuts away meaning they have accumulated in quite a large amount over the years. So even though we make all our accessories from them, we now admit we really could do with some more creative hands to magic them into new products, art, sculpture, anything that means they do not end up in landfill!
Terms & conditions
Who may enter: Competition is open to all UK based individuals, students and groups. There is no age limit but if you are under 18 you need to provide a parents or legal guardian signed consent form with your entry.
Conditions of entry:
By entering the competition you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
A donation of £5 (or more) must be made via Paypal to email@example.com to cover the cost of running the competition and posting fabric to you.
The fabric can only be used for this competition, any leftover fabric must be returned with your entry.
You can add other materials if it is being reused or recycled, for example a zip, buttons, paper, wood etc (but must not be more than 40% of the material in total)
How to enter and selection of winners
- Competition OPENS on 20th March 2020 and runs until 31st May 2020
- Entries must be delivered by post or in person using the address label in your fabric pack and a signed entry form by the above date
- If you require more fabric then the initial bag this will be at a cost of £3.50 per bag to cover the postage, there is no limit to the number of bags you can have as long as it ONLY used for this competition. Local pick up is welcome from our studio in Amroth.
- You may enter up to three items per entry. If you’d like to enter more than this you must request a new entry pack at the £5 donation.
- Fabrics are roughly sorted into colours, we will give a mixed bag unless you request certain colours.
- The design must be original. Use of copyrighted material, other than the iSea logo, is strictly forbidden.
- Creator will not receive any profits or royalties from merchandise sold. Creator will retain ownership of its rights to design, the prize acts as payment for license of use by iSea Surfwear. The creator grants to iSea Surfwear an irrevocable, perpetual, royalty free, fully paid up, worldwide, non-exclusive license to use, review, reproduce, display, distribute, sell, make derivative works of, promote, market and otherwise utilize the design in all forms of media, now known or hereafter devised.
- The winner will be selected by iSea Surfwear management from the projects submitted before the deadline, immediately following the end of the contest.
The winners will be awarded one iSea Surfwear custom made hoody with a choice of colours and prints from our existing range.
Runners up will be awarded a hand printed T-shirt, vest or choice of accessories from the iSea Surfwear range.
There are also possibilities of collaborating to develop your design into a product we can sell.
- Notification of winnersThe winner will be notified through their email and/or social media by iSea Surfwear within ten (10) days following the closing date. Following the notification, the winner needs to accept the prize by replying to the email within two (2) days. If the winner is otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may select an alternate winner at our discretion.
- Use of entries informationiSea Surfwear may use the content of all entries and entrants’ name, likeness, and any other submitted personal information from the entrants for advertising and promotional purposes connected with this competition only. We will not share any of your personal information with third parties other than your name and region on competition related posts on our social media and website. We will store your contact details for the purpose of this competition only unless you give permission on the entry form to be contacted for any other purpose.